Sunday, December 27, 2009

Item #1, Part 2: Tell Bethani That I Like Her

Life Starts at Thirty
a.k.a
My Bucket List

As with all plans, whether laid by mice and men, or a total idiot, mine fell apart. My self-imposed deadline of December 12th came and went, quickly. The moment I was hoping for never presented itself, so I had to go with the last moment I had available. After being the designated driver on the target date, the next day was riddled with rain, which does not mesh well with motorcycles. Then came Monday morning, and I had to go for it. I couldn't wait any longer.

Very early that morning, I folded up a printed copy of Part 1 of this story and placed it on her kitchen counter. On top of that, I had placed a note saying, "I'm sorry if this freaks you out, but I like you. A Lot." I was sleeping on her sofa when she came down stairs. I heard her open the door to the garage, and I made a B-line for her. I made sure she saw my notes. I admitted to her face that I liked her. It was a weird state of sleepiness and awkwardness on both our parts, but I made sure she took the paper about the first part of the story with her to work. What I got was a, "Thank you," and an, "I'm glad you told me." This immediately made me thankful she was leaving for work. I had my escape route.

Before leaving, I pushed my bike out of her garage and into the driveway. I then made sure all the doors of her house were locked. I slipped out of the garage, electronically shut the garage door, stepped over the sensor, and looked forward to the rest of my day. When I sat on my bike, I noticed the time and how early it was, 7:15 a.m. I then started up my bike, or tried to. The battery on my bike was dead. I was embarrassed by the "Thank you" and horrified by my circumstances. I was now trapped at the house of the girl who thanked me for my honesty, while locked out of that very same house, and dreaded seeing that girl later in the day. I began thinking I had reached a new level of embarassment, one previously unknown to mankind.

I jumped the wall into her backyard and was lucky enough to find a door open. I went through the house, opened the garage door, again, and pulled my bike back in. I went to the gas station around the corner and made some phone calls. I called into work. Then I called Bethani. I made that call as brief as possible. I told her what happened and that I would need a ride home.

I spent the next 9 hours shaking my head, wondering who else on the planet this could possibly happen to, why it happened to me, taking a nap, and then resuming my paranoid embarassament. When Bethani got home from work, I was sitting on her sofa, flipping my lucky coin, watching a movie, and hoping for the right thing to say. What came out of my mouth was aproximately, "Had I known I'd be stuck here, this morning would have been totally different." A few moments passed and she offered to take me somewhere to take care of my bike. I told her I had everything I needed at my house.

Not knowing what she was thinking, or feeling, I offered two options. First, I could take the battery back to my place, charge it for a few days, find my way back to her place, and pick up my bike then. Secondly, we could just go back to my place, I would grab what I needed, go back to her place, and charge my battery there. I did warn her of a 2% chance that my bike would not start and that I could be stuck there another day. Bethani left this choice up to me.

We headed off to my place, with my battery, and belongings, in tow. On the way there, we discussed what needed to be talked about. After telling her how stupid and embarrassed I felt, she showed me all the grace in the world, and put me at ease. This wound up being one of our easiest talks. I told her I would decide what I would do by the time we reached my house. On the way, she had mentioned her friends might be getting together for Monday Night Football: Arizona Cardinals versus the San Francisco 49'ers. She had also mentioned that our joint group of friends were meeting up to watch the game as well. I opted for the long way home, meaning Monday Night Football, and it did not matter who we were spending it with.

As far as football goes, the Cardinals were spectacular failures that night. After the game, and all the goodbye hugs and kisses, Bethani and I went back to her place. I got my bike up and running. And, with all the details intentionally excluded, Bethani and I had another minor talk. After this, I summoned my courage to kiss her. I did ask for permission. Before she could answer, I went for it. I could not hold back any longer. I will say one thing, kissing Bethani was, and is, awesome.

After all of that, I found myself in a precarious situation. I have never developed feelings for someone that was my friend, and a line was definitely crossed here. I automatically recognized that I would have to make decisions based on what will positively advance our friendship, and whatever it is we have now. The trasition from friends to something more is an uncertain path. I hope that we both make the sort of decisions that allow us to remain excellent friends, regardless of what happens at this new level. I do not know if Bethani actually likes me, or if it is my words, how I think about her, or if she was so completely flattered by me that she decided to give me a chance. Despite which of those options it may be, she is a total class act and I just have to keep going for it. What else is there to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment